Main Menu

User menu

Jungle Blogs

Book Depot

Jungle Forums

Tropical, Subtropical, and Exotic Gardening and Travel Discussion

Mussaenda red double

Tropical, Subtropical & Exotic Garden/Plant Talk. This is also the place to discuss landscape design a la Wijaya, Burle-Marx, and Miyano. HAVE A TAKE AND BRING IT!

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:15 am

has anyone ever heard of a mussaenda red but double?
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby kit » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:30 pm

There are lots of Mussaenda cvs. Do?a Eva is a red. Just remember that they are not really double flowers but extra sepals (not bracts). Need a photo to ID. Kit
Kit
All photos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without permission by the author.
kit
Top of the Food Chain

Climate: Humid Subtropical
Zone: USDA 10

Mussaenda red double

Postby venezuela » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:13 pm

I did not know that these were sepals, always thought they were bracts. Thanks Kit for this insight. I have a deep red which might be considered double compared to the species red. I do not know the name and it is not here where I could photograph it. chris
venezuela
Shaman

Mussaenda red double

Postby maspirasjr » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:30 pm

There are indeed Mussaenda with \"double\" red sepals, as Kit rightly mentioned. The University of the Philippines Ornamental Plant Breeding Institute at Los Banos has developed many of these rarer varieties. There are even new single and double red varieties that are \"variegated\" with white and cream. Some of these newer varieties are slightly reminiscent of the chaconnier, Warwescizia coccinea.

Interestingly, Mussaenda cultivars are known as \"donas\" (Spanish for \'dame\') in the Philippines, and the first cultivars were named after the wives of past Philippine presidents. Other cultivars were names after SE Asian female notables, such as Queen Sirikit of Thailand.

Marcelo
maspirasjr
Shaman

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:10 am

thanks for this comment. how do you know that? about the mussaendas? very impressive.
i like those plants.
i got the 4 classical colours (white, peach, pink and the red with only one sepal)
i have a yellow dwarf one too.
but i\'ve read about this double.
do you have a pic? or a link?
thanks
PS : i\'ve seen a mussaenda in a garden here coming from Mauritius island of a white/yellow colour with only one sepal and with seeds.
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby maspirasjr » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:14 am

My Dad is from the Philippines and was born in the town of Los Banos where much of the Mussaenda breeding took and still takes place (and went to the same university-Univ. of the Philippines-in the 1950s where he studied agronomy) before moving over to the US in the late 60s around the time I was born. Many of his classmates studied plant breeding, and one of their former professors (Dr. Dioscoro Umali) earlier helped pioneer a sport of the indigenous M. philippica (\'Dona Aurora\') from Luzon with the African red mussaenda (M.erythrophylla) to produce the now ubiquitous variant with multiple pink calyx-blades (now called \'Dona Luz\'). Incidentally, that professor was also one of the same group of plant breeders who helped propagate the jade vine and then disseminated it worldwide shortly after it was discovered and brought down from the rainforests of Mt. Makiling in Laguna province, Luzon island.

Marcelo
maspirasjr
Shaman

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:27 am

this is incredible story i found.
you put names, men on the plants i like, i have in my garden.
so interesting!
would like to know more.
by the way, do you know how to pollinize the jade vine?
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:29 am

i put some pics of the jade vine on the jungle gallery which will blossom soon.
i will update the blossom.
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:32 am

this is incredible story i found.
you put names, men on the plants i like, i have in my garden.
so interesting!
would like to know more.
by the way, do you know how to pollinize the jade vine?
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby maghahalaman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:23 am

I just bought mine from the Institute of Plant Breeding a few weeks ago. I\'ll post a recent pic asap (question, how can i post a pic here? can i upload photos? photobucket is not responding properly). Mussaenda Dona Evangelina is the most expensive and most difficult to propagate because it has a weak root system. Propagation is done by grafting with Dona Luz or Mussaenda flava.

When I have time, I\'ll post some of my collections of Philippine mussaendas . Meanwhile, the IPB will be releasing another hybrid this year. It will be named after former President Corazon Aquino.

This is another hybrid named Maria Clara (named in the 1980\'s, after the heroine of Dr. Jose Rizal\'s novel Noli Me Tangere).
[img src=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v295/maghahalaman/mussaenda/maria_clara.jpg]

Marcelo,

Ah, so thats why you visited LB a few years ago. My father is also a former professor in agronomy in UPLB but in the 1980\'s.

orville
maghahalaman
Anaconda

Climate: Dry Subtropical
Zone: 11

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:29 am

hello,

could you tell me what is special with the mussaenda you put the pic?
i don\'t see any difference with the classical ones?
is it double? or another colour?
thanks.
yes, i\'m starving to see your other pics
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby spectre » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:44 am

SoCal Clones:

I know I\'ve heard of a few cultivars that do OK in SoCal, but most are mulch. Anyone familiar with what those might be...Mussaenda as been on my wish list since I saw my first one in Puerto Rico...gorgeous plants. Next to Manila palms and Jollibee\'s, an epic Filipino export.
spectre

"Guess what?! I've got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"
-Bruce Dickinson, legendary record producer to the group Blue Oyster Cult during the original studio recording session of Don't Fear the Reaper. 1976
spectre
Administrator

Zone: SZ 24, USDA 10

Mussaenda red double

Postby kit » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:09 pm

Finding them may not be so easy!

The first one was photographed in Miami (Ernesto\'s nursery) and the other 2 are from mate Mike at Nong Nooch. I think several local nurseries are beginning to get some unusual ones.

Lakambini (Philippines)

[img src=http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Kit0_0/Mussaenda_Lakambini.jpg]

Lozza (Thailand?)

[img src=http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Kit0_0/Mussaenda_Lozza.jpg]

Calcutta Sunset (India)

[img src=http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Kit0_0/Mussaenda_Calcutta_Sunset.jpg]

Kit
Kit
All photos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without permission by the author.
kit
Top of the Food Chain

Climate: Humid Subtropical
Zone: USDA 10

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:58 am

thank you Kit. very beautiful pics. if you have others, don\'t hesitate.
koku
Anaconda

Mussaenda red double

Postby spectre » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:14 am

Very cool, Kit. Thanks for sharing!
spectre

"Guess what?! I've got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"
-Bruce Dickinson, legendary record producer to the group Blue Oyster Cult during the original studio recording session of Don't Fear the Reaper. 1976
spectre
Administrator

Zone: SZ 24, USDA 10

Mussaenda red double

Postby maghahalaman » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:26 am

Koku,

The mussaenda in the pic is also double (or the all the 5 petaloids are fully expanded). This hybrid is quite beautiful because the inner portions are whitish or mottled with dark pink-red. The edge is blood red (similar to M. Queen Sirikit). Mussaenda Dona Eva has solid blood red petaloids. It\'s leaves also clothed with red hairs unlike Maria Clara.

Kit,

It seems that the Lakambini you posted is the cultivar \'Florida\' we call here. It looks like Dona Eva but its leaves aren\'t thick enough. Lakambini has one large petaloid and four smaller petaloids. The \'real\' flowers (the yellow star shaped flowers) are big and fragrant. Lakambini is also semi-scandent. Here\'s a pic of Lakambini here (the real flowers not yet open).

[img src=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v295/maghahalaman/lakambini.jpg]

This is Dona Evangelina or Dona Eva.
[img src=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v295/maghahalaman/eva/5264f273.jpg]

You can determine different Mussaenda by its petaloids, however the difference is clearly seen in it\'s real flowers.

Those hybrids from India and Thailand are quite unusual - yellow is incorporated in the petaloid color (I wonder what parent did they use? Probably M. flava which has yellow petaloids). I\'m itching to get these cultivars.

Spectre,
I\'m quite surprised that Jollibee\'s already in Puerto Rico. Are they doing well in that part of the world?

Hoping to see other mussaenda cultivars...

orville
maghahalaman
Anaconda

Zone: 11

Mussaenda red double

Postby koku » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:50 am

thanks a lot!
don\'t hesitate to put some mussaenda news when you have some!
thanks
?ric
koku
Anaconda

Return to The Jungle