Main Menu

User menu

Jungle Blogs

Book Depot

Jungle Forums

Tropical, Subtropical, and Exotic Gardening and Travel Discussion

Where To Buy Eucalyptus???

Tropical, Subtropical & Exotic Garden/Plant Talk. This is also the place to discuss landscape design a la Wijaya, Burle-Marx, and Miyano. HAVE A TAKE AND BRING IT!

Where To Buy Eucalyptus???

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:32 am

I finally talked my wife into using some Eucalyptus trees around the property to help form our canopy. I need to know where I can find some good places in SoCal to purchase them. I don't know if anyone sells them, but think I would prefer 5 gallon size, only because of the cost, I need around 20 of them.

Any suggestions as to what type of Eucs to use? I like the looks of citriodora.

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Re: Where To Buy Eucalyptus???

Postby David » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Eucalyptus citriodora ought to be readily available even at places like Home Depot throughout southern California.  All of the major growers in socal have this, such as Hines, Monrovia, Valley Crest, etc.  With this particular species, it will be important to inspect that the tree doesn't have kinked roots, or it will be subject to blow down in winter storms or Santa Ana winds.  You might even consider planting this out as a one gallon.  They are fast growers with sufficient irrigation, I planted a grove of 6-15 gallons two years ago, and they are already approaching 30 feet tall here in Alameda, Ca.  I had to stake and thin them regularly to ensure they could take the steady bayside winds initially, and did lose one tree to a split crotch because I didn't keep up with the thinning.  At this point, I think I should just cut this one off to the ground and let it resprout as a multi.  I love this tree, except when we get a deep freeze event and I worry that these trees will be hit bad.  That is why I only plant them right next to the bay, or up in the warmer hills or San Francisco, never outside a Sunset zone 16/17 situation...
David
Anaconda

Postby spectre » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:06 pm

E. citriodora (or now Corymbia citriodora for the accurate name now) is as you both surmised, one of the more beautiful gums and they have that great scent when you walk anywhere near them. These are on of the few in cv that work and play well with other plants, and it also has roots incapable of lifting walls or sidewalks.

Unfortunately, as David alluded to, they are also weak, so this is one of the few trees I DON'T advocate lacing, because if you let go on it's own. they tend to be very columnar. To get an upper canopy look, I think David's suggestion is spot on. Cut the leader where you think you want a split, let it develop branches from there.

As far as hardiness, this is one of the least cold tolerant of the Australian gums. I don't know if you've been down here, David, but CalTrans has a nice stand of them in the median of Interstate 5 in Rose Canyon (which is the part just north of Mission Bay and south of UCSD and the Mormon Temple. This is one of this cold drains I mentioned and for the first time here, all the leaves were burnt.

Sometimes I've driven through there on a frost advisory morning for the first flight out of the airport. On these types of nights, it averages 10-15F (5.5-8C) cooler than my driveway, which the night I'm referring to was 41F (5.5C) at 5:15. It was 27 and they were fine.

Now, I had no flight to catch those record cold mornings and they were severely whacked when I saw them days later. I can only assume the temps in that canyon got down to about 23F (-4.5C) because at 6:30 on the coldest morning of the year, I had 37.6F (3.5F) at my crib.

The other two gums I like are E. deglupta (rainbow gum) though I'm not sure it will succeed if you're in a cold pocket and C. ficifolia (red gum). Yes, they are common and they can look like lollipops, but if you shape it while young, you will get a nice tree. Also make sure you get the color bloom you're looking for since they are highly variable. This one will have no problem with your cold.
spectre

"Guess what?! I've got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"
-Bruce Dickinson, legendary record producer to the group Blue Oyster Cult during the original studio recording session of Don't Fear the Reaper. 1976
spectre
Administrator

Climate: Dry Subtropical
Zone: SZ 24, USDA 10

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:50 pm

E. citriodora is the least cold tolerant??!!!! Well crap, I guess it's back to the drawing board, that's the only one I could talk the wife into.

Spec, did the Cal-Trans trees recover or die?

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby spectre » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:38 pm

Oh...I forgot that part. DOH.  :o

Yes, they did but it took them about four months to get going in the canyon. They look great now.

But remember this part of I-5. Mt. Soledad is to the west, some tall mesas are to the east, so it's not exactly the greatest exposure for them. Plus they compete with ice plant. So I have a feeling you should be able to do OK with these.
spectre

-Bruce Dickinson, legendary record producer to the group Blue Oyster Cult during the original studio recording session of Don't Fear the Reaper. 1976
spectre
Administrator

Postby Justin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Thomas, I have a couple Eucs at my place.  E. torquata has nice flowers, but I'm a little irked at its speed and also its inability to develop a solid trunk.  E. sideroxylon has not quite as nice flowers - but still nice - but has a great growth habit and grows very quickly.  Lastly, I had an E. deglupta that was doing fine until it succumbed from the cold, heat, and cold of this winter and spring.  I would definitely not recommend it for your area.
Resident: Vista, Pahoa
Visitor: Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Uyuni, Arequipa, Cusco, Ushuaia, Stanley, Grytviken, Port Lockroy Kigali, Livingstone, Cape Town, Maun, St Petersburg, Manila, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Cape Trib, Lord Howe, Adelaide, and many more
Justin
Top of the Food Chain

Zone: Vista is Zone 23

Postby fastfeat » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:48 pm

Tom--

I don't know the specific area you are in. Do you know which Sunset zone for starters?

I agree with Spec that C. citriodora is relatively tender, but in most years, once established, it should be hardy in all except the coldest inland SoCal valleys and canyons (mainly Sunset zone 18). Fine examples can be found as far inland as Beaumont. Corona, Redlands, and Riverside all have fine mature trees.

Corymbia (Euc) maculata (spotted gum) is very similar to lemon gum, with similar bark, slightly broader leaves, and similar, but slightly beefier branch structure. It takes a couple of more degrees of cold if your location is marginal; it lacks the lemon-scented foliage though.

Both species above are susceptible to a psyllid that, while not as serious as the red gum lerp psyllid responsible for killing many Euc. camaldulensis and Euc. rudis statewide, can make the trees undesirable around patios and other high traffic areas.

Two other species to consider are Eucalyptus cladocalyx (Sugar Gum) and Eucalyptus grandis (Rose Gum). The former is common along I-5 through southern OC and northern SD Co, also along old 101 through Leucadia. The latter is a very fast, shaft type tree; it has very colorful bark that changes from white through bluish to orange before shedding. Specimens are visible on the 133, 241 and 261 toll roads in OC. Both of these species are best in a large (1/2 acre+) yard if you plan on keeping them to full size.

I would suggest starting with small (5gal, or even 1gal if you can find) trees that are not rootbound. The will establish themselves much more quickly than larger (15 gal or 24" box) sizes.

A couple of pics of Euc grandis:
[img width=469 height=1024]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/Euc_grandis1_1.jpg[/img]
[img width=409 height=1023]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/Euc_grandis3_1.jpg[/img]
[img width=691 height=1024]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/Euc_grandis0002.jpg[/img] 
"It takes a clever man to make money. It takes a genius to stay alive." (The Counterfeiters, 2007)
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Zone: Sunset 18 mostly

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Fastfeat,
I would say I'm in sunset zone 19, I'm surrounded by mature Avocado groves, though many of them were severely damaged by our last winter.

I definitely want to start of with smaller plants. I need around 20 of them (I'm on 5 acres) and I'm still concerned about losing them so I don't want to spend a fortune on large plants, especially if they are marginal in my area.

My property got cold this year, probably down to around 24 degrees. That's not normal, but I wanted to plant a canopy tree that I can count on surviving should it happen again. My previous canopy was burned to the ground this year.

I really liked the citridora, so if maculata is similar in appearance maybe that would be a better choice.

So, where in SoCal can I go to find a good selection of Eucs? I've seen them at Home Depot, but only in 15 gallon size. Any place out here carry them in 1's or 5's?

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby Eric 9b » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:57 am

A good mail order source is Windmill Outback Nursery. They are in SW Virginia but grow all Australian plants. Tons of Eucs, many good for CA but not FL,  good prices and quality. I have always had good experiences with this place.

http://www.australiaplants.com/index.htm
Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Climate: Humid Subtropical
Zone: USDA zone 9b/10a

Postby fastfeat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:16 am

Thomas wrote:Fastfeat,
I would say I'm in sunset zone 19, I'm surrounded by mature Avocado groves, though many of them were severely damaged by our last winter.

I definitely want to start of with smaller plants. I need around 20 of them (I'm on 5 acres) and I'm still concerned about losing them so I don't want to spend a fortune on large plants, especially if they are marginal in my area.

My property got cold this year, probably down to around 24 degrees. That's not normal, but I wanted to plant a canopy tree that I can count on surviving should it happen again. My previous canopy was burned to the ground this year.

I really liked the citridora, so if maculata is similar in appearance maybe that would be a better choice.

So, where in SoCal can I go to find a good selection of Eucs? I've seen them at Home Depot, but only in 15 gallon size. Any place out here carry them in 1's or 5's?

Tom

Tom--

I've got a couple of emails out to a few old connections out in CA (I'm in FL now, so keeping up with local nurseries out in CA is a little tough); hopefully I'll get a lead or two for you. Sounds like you're in SD Co; you might want to call Ganter Nursery in Vista (760.758.8375) or Vista Tree Farm (760.598.5588) as starting places. (Most nurseries out there probably still use Euc. maculata, rather than Corymbia, FYI). If they don't stock, you may want to put in a special order with one of them or your local retail nursery (not Home Depot) and have them search their suppliers. Maybe Spec or someone else out your way who regularly (s)trolls the growing grounds has a line on some...

Ken.

Off the web, a couple of pics of C. maculata for the wife--
[img width=600 height=800]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/cory_macul_aaa.jpg[/img]
[img width=336 height=448]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/maculata.jpg[/img]
"It takes a clever man to make money. It takes a genius to stay alive." (The Counterfeiters, 2007)
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Postby spectre » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:33 am

Surprisingly, gums are tough to come by now. Usually, the mainstream nurseries limit themselves to silver dollar gums and if you're lucky, peppermint gum. They've gotten scarce because the plant nazis have scared the public and growers. That and realization that (since the Oakland Hills fire in 1991) they can become firetraps has really put them out of favor. Their reputation for soft limbs that break and smash cars in high winds does not help. There was a euc speciality nursery in Lakeside, but the have since closed down in the late 90s.

Gantner's is a good call, as well as Vista Tree Farms. Since Home Despot does not buy from Monrovia, you need to see if Hines or Village has availability. Check San Marcos Growers (wholesale only and near Santa Barbara) at http://www.sanmarcosgrowers.com and see if they have it. Then Green Thumb or any number of nurseries can bring it in for you.
spectre

spectre
Administrator

Postby fastfeat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:34 am

spectre wrote:Surprisingly, gums are tough to come by now. Usually, the mainstream nurseries limit themselves to silver dollar gums and if you're lucky, peppermint gum. They've gotten scarce because the plant nazis have scared the public and growers. That and realization that (since the Oakland Hills fire in 1991) they can become firetraps has really put them out of favor. Their reputation for soft limbs that break and smash cars in high winds does not help. There was a euc speciality nursery in Lakeside, but the have since closed down in the late 90s.

Gantner's is a good call, as well as Vista Tree Farms. Since Home Despot does not buy from Monrovia, you need to see if Hines or Village has availability. Check San Marcos Growers (wholesale only and near Santa Barbara) at http://www.sanmarcosgrowers.com and see if they have it. Then Green Thumb or any number of nurseries can bring it in for you.

Is there still a Green Thumb/Arrow in SD Co? Green Thumb uses ABC Nursery (Gardena) as one of their suppliers. They were my source for 1gal Euc. sideroxylon awhile back. I checked San Marcos' website; no C. maculata there.
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:15 am

Eric,
Thanks for the website, I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.

Ken,
I'm right on the border of Riverside/San Diego county.
Thanks for the photos of the maculata, that's a good looking tree. I also appreciate you checking with your old connections.

Greg,
Have you used many Eucs as canopy at your place?

Is it too late in the year to plant out a 1 or 5 gallon Euc.?

Tom
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby spectre » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:10 am

Thomas wrote:Eric,
Thanks for the website, I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.

Ken,
I'm right on the border of Riverside/San Diego county.
Thanks for the photos of the maculata, that's a good looking tree. I also appreciate you checking with your old connections.

Greg,
Have you used many Eucs as canopy at your place?

Tom

Is it too late in the year to plant out a 1 or 5 gallon Euc.?

Tom

FF:

Green Thumb is alive and kicking on San Marcos Blvd. Pricey, but good selection.

Thomas:

I do, but not by choice. I have three E. camauldensis (which is one of the nastier ones) that were left over from the old road that used to encircle the division before they built houses here. They are nice canopy, but messy, root disasters that prevent things from growing under them. But they are 20m tall and add that high canopy that I need in one portion of the garden.

I hope that I can plant a few C. citriodora next to them and have them take their place so I can chop them down. C. maculata also looks nice and I've always liked E. sideryxlon.

I also have two E. degluptas.
spectre

spectre
Administrator

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Ganters doesn't have any and didn't know anyone that did.

San Marcos doesn't have them.

Australiaplants.com (Eric's suggestion) only sells seed. Still an option, but I would rather buy well started plants.

I'm waiting on a call back from Vista Tree Farms.

I spoke to a local nursery today and they tried to talk me out of Eucs all together (probably because they didn't have any). The person I spoke to said that there was an incurable canker spreading through-out the Eucs in California. Is this the Psyllid that Ken was refering to?

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Briggs Tree Farm in Vista has both species avail in 15 gallon only. I really would prefer smaller trees though, they are $46.75.

Green Thumb in San Marcos doesn't have them.

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby spectre » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Mr. T.:

First check if San Marcos Growers (or anyone else) has availability. You can ask any nursery (I believe Green Thumb does but not sure) that orders from them that question. Then get them to order it for you.
spectre

spectre
Administrator

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:56 pm

spectre wrote:Mr. T.:

First check if San Marcos Growers (or anyone else) has availability. You can ask any nursery (I believe Green Thumb does but not sure) that orders from them that question. Then get them to order it for you.

So far Briggs is the only one that carries maculata.

Evergreen Nursery in San Diego (858-481-0622) has citridora in 5's for $12.
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby spectre » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Thomas wrote:
spectre wrote:Mr. T.:

So far Briggs is the only one that carries maculata.

Evergreen Nursery in San Diego (858-481-0622) has citridora in 5's for $12.

That's a good price. Snag it.
spectre

spectre
Administrator

Postby fastfeat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:52 pm

Damn, I'm gone for two years and y'all can't even get Eucs at Green Slum...I didn't think it was my responsibility to hold the nursery and arboricultural forces together from the Right Coast, but I must have been wrong...Guess I'd better get my physo cert and my seeds out of the 'fridge... ;) ;D

Tom,

Seriously, I'd concur with Spec regarding Green Thumb (or another local place). I worked at Green Thumb (twice!) in El Toro before: they had pretty good (at least El Toro did) relationships with their vendors (ABC Nursery previously mentioned, amongst others) that encouraged people to special-order plants. The reality is, you're going to be hard pressed to find twenty of any tree at any retail nursery these days. A good manager loves someone like you--willing to pay for plants the store may not normally stock but is willing to buy w/o having to load into the retail bins, make signs for, etc. Spend a little time shooting the s**t with the person who does the ordering, and have a little patience. It'll probably pay off for you.

You say your on Riverside/SD Co line. Which side? C. citriodoras should be fine in Rainbow (wanted to buy 10ac for 100K a few years ago, but that's another story), DeLuz, etc; Temecula/Rancho CA are indeed marginal. If you have some elevation, and little patience, $12 per 5g C. citriodoras, if not rootbound, is a good deal.

If I hear anything else on C/E. maculatas, I will let you know.

I don't know of any all-Euc canker, unless I left it behind when I came to FL 8). I'd imagine they're talking about the red-gum lerp psyllid that has left so many E camaldulensis/rudis dead on the side of the road. BTW, if they had E. camaldulensis or E rudis in stock, they'd say nothing but try to hustle you some overpriced (and useless) insecticide with the trees.
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Coralcoasttropicals » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Geez all those pictures of gum trees makes me think I am looking out the window! Corymbia citriodora is growing naturally across the street from my house in Bundy. On humid summer mornings I would get the pleasant lemon aroma wafting across the street but I was happy for the trees to stay in the bush were they belonged. Way too big and dangerous for suburban backyards.
Andrew.
Cloncurry, "Outback" Queensland. Australia
Arid Tropical, Birthplace of QANTAS and the Flying Doctor.
Coralcoasttropicals
Shaman

Zone: 23 50' S, z11

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:01 pm

Ken,
I'm on the Riverside county side, but I live in De Luz.

Tomorrow I'll try to call a few more places about maculata. I asked every place I called if they could get them and nobody seemed to interested in doing special orders.

I'm on a hill so I have some elevation and like I said earlier I'm pretty much surrounded by mature Avocado groves, but if citridora is sensitive then I'll probably only buy a couple of them and try to do mostly maculata.

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Coralcoasttropicals wrote:I was happy for the trees to stay in the bush were they belonged. Way too big and dangerous for suburban backyards.

What problems do you have with them there? Falling over or just dropping large branches?

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby fastfeat » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:45 am

Tom--

Sounds like a good plan. If you're amongst avocado groves, you should be fine. C. citriodora should be hardy wherever avos are commercially viable. I think you have to look at the winter of last year as a fluke. If you get the 5gal C. citriodoras in now, you should be OK; maybe give them some protection if a unusually cold snap arrives.

Don't know if you have any experience growing stuff from seed, but Eucs/Corymbia are very easy. If you can't locate any trees soon, you might order some seed. If you start in one of those little Jiffy greenhouse seed kits (available at most HD stores) this fall/winter, you can have nice-sized C. maculata ready to plant out in the spring.
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:20 am

fastfeat wrote: Tom--

Don't know if you have any experience growing stuff from seed, but Eucs/Corymbia are very easy. If you can't locate any trees soon, you might order some seed. If you start in one of those little Jiffy greenhouse seed kits (available at most HD stores) this fall/winter, you can have nice-sized C. maculata ready to plant out in the spring.

I really suck at seed germination, but I might give it a try, we have a large greenhouse (20' x 40') on our property so I can just put them in there until spring.

I know last year was probably a fluke that won't be repeated. Losing 25k in plants last year has made me hyper-cautious.

Now, when these suckers get big (100') how do people prune them???!!! I'm gonna need a bigger ladder.

Tom
Thomas
Crocodile

Postby fastfeat » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:26 am

Tom,

Damn, with a 20'X40' greenhouse, there's no time like the present to get some practice!

One other place not too far from you (though nothing is really convenient to De Luz ;D) worth trying for maculatas is Hawthorne Nursery's growing grounds on Mission (I'm pretty sure, anyway), east of Fallbrook. I'm not sure if it's listed as such in the phonebook though; I was given the address from someone at their retail location near LAX. Worst case scenario, you can call their retail place in Hawthorne and ask for the info on their Fallbrook location.
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Coralcoasttropicals » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:29 pm

Tom,

They are quite often known as 'widow makers' over here. Large limbs can drop without notice and during cyclones and summer storms they can be unstable. C. maculata is especially known for this, that species was a major component of the forests on the south coast of New South Wales and every year you would hear about some poor soul flattened and killed by falling branches.
Andrew.
Cloncurry, "Outback" Queensland. Australia
Arid Tropical, Birthplace of QANTAS and the Flying Doctor.
Coralcoasttropicals
Shaman

Zone: 23 50' S, z11

Postby Justin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:39 pm

I don't think we'll be getting any cyclones any time soon with our water temperatures.  And, if by chance our water temperatures ever get that warm, Thomas won't be planting Eucalyptus for canopy - he'll be planting Samanea.  ;D
Resident: Vista, Pahoa
Visitor: Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Uyuni, Arequipa, Cusco, Ushuaia, Stanley, Grytviken, Port Lockroy Kigali, Livingstone, Cape Town, Maun, St Petersburg, Manila, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Cape Trib, Lord Howe, Adelaide, and many more
Justin
Top of the Food Chain

Zone: Vista is Zone 23

Return to The Jungle