Main Menu

User menu

Jungle Blogs

Book Depot

Jungle Forums

Tropical, Subtropical, and Exotic Gardening and Travel Discussion

Pandanus furcatus flowering for first time!

Tropical, Subtropical & Exotic Garden/Plant Talk. This is also the place to discuss landscape design a la Wijaya, Burle-Marx, and Miyano. HAVE A TAKE AND BRING IT!

Pandanus furcatus flowering for first time!

Postby Eric 9b » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:29 pm

One of our Himalayan Screw-Pine, Pandanus furcatus are flowering for the first time. It was planted in Oct. 2004 from a 1 gal. pot, it was about 2ft tall. This seems fairly quick to get a Pandanus from seed to flowering in less than 5 years. I will post updated photos as the inflorescence emerges more.

Here is the specimen just a couple of weeks ago, it is planted outside the front gate at Leu Gardens. The green palm to the left of it is Livistona nitida.

And then today. When I came into work this morning I noticed it emerging from the foliage.

Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Climate: Humid Subtropical
Zone: USDA zone 9b/10a

Re: Pandanus furcatus flowering for first time!

Postby fastfeat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Eric--

I think the blooming period is fast, at least it was for the big P. utilis in front of my place. Saw the inflorescences starting to pop, figured they'd be good for awhile, went back in two days, and they were done!
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Climate: Dry Subtropical
Zone: Sunset 18 mostly

Postby kit » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:49 pm

That is a dandy. Female I assume. Maybe ho-hum for the blokes Down Under but there are so few pandanus species planted in FL that I know of. It would be grand to have an album started in the gallery when you have time.
Kit
All photos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without permission by the author.
kit
Top of the Food Chain

Zone: USDA 10

Postby shekong » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Actually I'm quite pleased to see a photo of this one as it's reputed to be the most cold hardy pandanus. I also like it's on the smallish side. Eric was it desuckered or did it grow that way? I've got about a dozen in pots and it seems to be a fast grower. Ann
shekong
Jaguar

Climate: Cool Tropical
Zone: really wet tropical

Postby Coralcoasttropicals » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:57 am

Ya got a spare one Ann???? I love my Pandanus and I don't have that one.
Coralcoasttropicals
Shaman

Zone: 23 50' S, z11

Postby Eric 9b » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:14 am

kit wrote:That is a dandy. Female I assume. Maybe ho-hum for the blokes Down Under but there are so few pandanus species planted in FL that I know of. It would be grand to have an album started in the gallery when you have time.

Fairchild has a number of species out along the lagoon. I've gotten some offshoots from a couple of species from them for our collection.

Pandans are one of my favorite plants. So many species but so few are cultivated. We have been getting seed of some unusual varieties and trying them here for cold hardiness. I guess so many look similar and most are so spiny, theres not a big demand for a greater number of species.
Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Eric 9b » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 am

shekong wrote:Actually I'm quite pleased to see a photo of this one as it's reputed to be the most cold hardy pandanus. I also like it's on the smallish side. Eric was it desuckered or did it grow that way? I've got about a dozen in pots and it seems to be a fast grower. Ann

This one hasn't been pruned. They are solitary growers so won't poduce a thick clump. And they also don't branch much so it will be an upright grower, I think they get about 20-30ft.

It is supposed to be a more cool and cold tolerant pandan but ours had some damage 5 years ago after one night of 27F while P. tectorius weren't damaged at all.
Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Eric 9b » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:21 am

Coralcoasttropicals wrote:Ya got a spare one Ann???? I love my Pandanus and I don't have that one.

If you can't find one, rarepalmseeds.com carries seed and they are easy and reliable germinators. RPS have been getting seed of some different Pandanus lately that aren't found here.
Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Postby shekong » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 am

Coralcoasttropicals wrote:Ya got a spare one Ann???? I love my Pandanus and I don't have that one.

Does that mean you're finally coming over for a cupppa :-* :-* :-* Ann
shekong
Jaguar

Postby shekong » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:56 am

Eric 9b wrote:
shekong wrote:Actually I'm quite pleased to see a photo of this one as it's reputed to be the most cold hardy pandanus. I also like it's on the smallish side. Eric was it desuckered or did it grow that way? I've got about a dozen in pots and it seems to be a fast grower. Ann

This one hasn't been pruned. They are solitary growers so won't poduce a thick clump. And they also don't branch much so it will be an upright grower, I think they get about 20-30ft.

It is supposed to be a more cool and cold tolerant pandan but ours had some damage 5 years ago after one night of 27F while P. tectorius weren't damaged at all.

Well that's not good!! I thought it was from the Himalayas. Ann
shekong
Jaguar

Postby Eric 9b » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 am

Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Coralcoasttropicals » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks Eric for putting that website up but I think our friendly customs officers will have something to say if I try to get them in.

Don't worry Ann I will try to get across for a cuppa sometime. Next time I go to Cairns I plan to go via Normanton, Croydon etc.
Coralcoasttropicals
Shaman

Zone: 23 50' S, z11

Postby kit » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 am

The exposed spiral basket weave leaf bases and its solitary habit could make this species a real landscaping competitor IMHO!

Eric, would you recommend it for locations where many palms or cycads won't grow? What about comparative resistance to endemic diseases?. Do you have to remove the older leaves regularly for a clean look or are they self cleaning? Potential height? Relative growth speed?

Does FTBG have a male? Maybe we can get some viable seed distributed.
Kit
All photos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without permission by the author.
kit
Top of the Food Chain

Postby Eric 9b » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 am

kit wrote:The exposed spiral basket weave leaf bases and its solitary habit could make this species a real landscaping competitor IMHO!

Eric, would you recommend it for locations where many palms or cycads won't grow? What about comparative resistance to endemic diseases?. Do you have to remove the older leaves regularly for a clean look or are they self cleaning? Potential height? Relative growth speed?

Does FTBG have a male? Maybe we can get some viable seed distributed.

It hasn't had any disease or insect problems yet, Pandanus seem fairly pest resistant in FL. It is semi-self cleaning. when a leaf yellows then browns it will hold them for awhile but not long before shedding. Ours never gets a "shag" on it.

I don't thing Fairchild has a mature plant. I had donated a couple seedlings but I don't know if they have been planted out yet.
Eric
Orlando,FL
Eric 9b
Top of the Food Chain

Postby kit » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm

I looked around Pandanus Lake next to the lowland parking area the other day. Did not see any but could be somewhere else.
Kit
kit
Top of the Food Chain

Postby fastfeat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:10 pm

I checked the list of living plants at Fairchild, but this is one of the pages where a bunch of data is missing (jumps from Pachystachys lutea to Pandanus odoratissimus), so no way to tell.
fastfeat
Top of the Food Chain

Climate: Dry Subtropical
Zone: Sunset 18 mostly

Postby ariscott » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:36 am

Coralcoasttropicals wrote:Thanks Eric for putting that website up but I think our friendly customs officers will have something to say if I try to get them in.

Don't worry Ann I will try to get across for a cuppa sometime. Next time I go to Cairns I plan to go via Normanton, Croydon etc.

You should go to Anderson garden in Townsville... They had quite a collection of Pandanus. We went there at Christmas time, but the seeds aren't quite ready yet...

BTW, I hope you are not under water with the amount of rain you have been getting

Regards, Ari :)
ariscott
Shaman

Postby tabbydan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:59 am

What's the deal with fruits of this genus anyway?

I'm familiar with using the leaves to flavor SE Asian deserts, but I have yet to try (and have heard very mixed things about) the fruits of this genus.

The fruits are sometimes described in nice terms and other times listed as survival food. It could be because of the many different species, possibly even varities that have been cultivated. Also some of the people who liked them possibly did (historically) owing to lack of food on their islands...

Is there any good info on the fruits of this genus?
tabbydan
Macaw

Return to The Jungle